Re: [OM] Nobody Said being a cowboy .... Part 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Nobody Said being a cowboy .... Part 2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:46:57 -0700
On 6/20/2012 9:54 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> I like the action. The "pose" is terrific.

Yeah, but I can't look at it without wondering if he is posing, like a diver,
and managed to tuck and roll when he hit -
or landed on his face and broke his neck.

> FWIW, the background is so busy you can't really "cut" the action out of the
> rest of the image. (A little cowboy talk there. <g>). If I were Moose, which
> I definitely ain't, I would look for one of those fancy photoshop ways of
> further blurring the background so we can see that cowboy's face.

That part wouldn't be so hard. The deeper background is already slightly
blurry. Look at the fringe detail of his flying
chaps; it's already against detailless background, which would merge seamlessly
with artificially blurred general
background. Most of the rest would be relatively easily selected from
background.

His face itself is against easily differentiable black and white. The bigger
problem might be in pulling most of the
face out of the shadows. I don't think an E-3 at ISO 320 has particularly good
deep shadow noise/detail.

But I won't likely be trying. While I greatly admire this image for
composition, capture of a decisive moment, clarity,
etc., rodeo doesn't engage me, nor does this image, other than thinking what a
fool the man is.

> I think CS6 has a blurring tool that's supposed to be the bee's knees for
> that kind of work, but I haven't got around to working with it yet.

Yeah I probably won't be playing with CS6 for a while. I'm particularly
interested in the Content Aware Fill with
selectable source area. CAF in CS5 is most often pure magic, and occasionally
useless.

Sedate Rider Moose