Re: [OM] Poppies

Subject: Re: [OM] Poppies
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:31:38 -0500
> But who should you believe, Ken?  Is the oil industry really wrong and the
> bio-fuel industry completely above board?

There was one "study" which was intended to slam bio-fuels that put in
stupid things like wasted gas while the average commuter sat in a
traffic jam. HUH?

When you see stuff like that, the only thing I can do is reject the
entire study. Especially when they apply those "adjustments" to
bio-fuel, but not to dino-fuels.

What I've seen from the bio-fuels industry is very few wild claims
because they are so easily disproved. About all they are doing is just
responding to the attacks.

Food costs rising because of bio-fuels? That's also a bunch of
"hogwash". Drivel. More nonsense spread by the talking heads in NYC
that think that all farmers are a bunch of hayseed hicks anyway.
Sorry, but it all comes down to supply, demand, transportation and the
cost of production. The fact your Corn Flakes cost so much has nothing
to do with the cost of corn. Even at today's inflated corn prices,
there is still only something like 20 cents worth of corn in that box
of Corn Flakes. We may have an absolute block-buster harvest this
year. Price per bushel will drop through the floor below cost of
production. I can guarantee that your Corn Flakes won't drop in price.

Beef, pork and poultry production is also blamed for all the world's
evils. Not that many years ago, Iowa was almost entirely corn/beans
production. The only farmers that actually made any money were running
livestock too. Livestock provides fertilizaer. Livestock also provides
value-add to the raw resources. Livestock is run on land that isn't
very good for crops or on off-years or after harvest to eat the
blow-by. Now, Iowa is the #1 egg production place in the world. Did
you know that for every person there is a laying hen? It made no sense
to transport the grain from Iowa to other parts of the country to feed
the chickens. We built massive production facilities here (factory
farms?) with millions of hens and truck/fly out the eggs all over the
country.

Anyway, I mention livestock because there are people who claim that
this is energy-negative too. If you are selective in which factors to
include in your calculations, this is correct. But how does this
explain the hog operations which make more money off of the fertilizer
than they do from the meat itself? There are operators that aren't
bothered in the least when the hogs sell at a loss.

To put a different twist on all this. We humans are energy-negative.
The fact is, we consume and produce nothing of value to the planet.
Nothing at all. Therefore, we should be opposed to human existance.
Right? Sorry, Moose, Chuck, Chris, ME, we're all a drain on the
planet. We serve no useful purpose.

Sorry, folks. Back to your regularily scheduled programming. But I
couldn't let this one slide.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx