Re: [OM] IMG: Eye to Eye -- MONOPOD USE

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Eye to Eye -- MONOPOD USE
From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:12:11 -0700
Tina Manley OFFERED::
Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Eye to Eye

> I'm not Dr. Ted, but I use a monopod all the time in low light situations.
> It also doubles as a walking stick for hiking up mountains to get to the
> low light situations.  You have to make the monopod into a tripod by using
> your two legs as the other support or by leaning against a wall or tree.
> The more support you can get, the better.  Use the monopod, but think
> tripod as far as support goes.<<<

Hi Tina,

Here is a photo of me taken by David Young while I'm using a monopod:
http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/DrTed2.html

I don't think I do anything different than you do. Even as a walking stick!
;-)

Monopod and 280mm f2.8 lens held firmly with one hand and thumb used for
manual focusing! Along with both feet well planted on the ground making it
basically a, "tripod position!"  Sometimes if a building, tree, whatever of
mass structure is handy in-relation to making the proper exposure? Sure I
will lean into or onto. But most of the time it's "Two feet and one
monopod."

If one is fortunate to cover the Olympics or other international games you
are not allowed to use tripods regardless how big the lens! Monopods only.

Originally I only used the shoulder brace and pistol grip with micro-switch
connected to the camera motor drive.  HOWEVER? It's not such a great idea to
parachute jump first time ever and solo on yer 65th birthday! :-) As
sometimes you can .... well let's say it was magical all the way down doing
something that had been a life time dream. But it's the landing on Planet
Earth properly?????? Damn! ;-)

The more you shoot with the monopod, as I had to learn, the better you
become at keeping everything stable.

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)