Re: [OM] (OT) Ethical dilemma

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Ethical dilemma
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:23:13 -0400
I think I'd have had a slightly different take on it than expressed on
TOP.  I wouldn't have taken any action because, frankly, I'm very
surprised he died.  Nothing to do with God's intervention.  It's just
that someone like him who has been handling rattlers for years has
probably been bitten many times (often times with little or no
envenomation) and has probably developed at least some immunity to the
venom.  Only about 60% of the time do rattlers release any venom.  Often
times the strike is with only one fang and may not be very deep or in a
critical spot.  Knowing nothing else I'd have expected him to get very,
very sick, possibly suffer from a lot of necrotized tissue but other
wise survive.

It appears his luck really ran out this time.  The article says he was
bitten in the thigh.  I wonder if the bite was into the femoral artery.
  In any case it would appear that this snake is on the largish size for
a Timber rattler and must have made a very effective strike.

Chuck Norcutt