Re: [OM] Moon Wind and Fire

Subject: Re: [OM] Moon Wind and Fire
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 20:41:07 -0600
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Makes me happy to have a 1000 mm lens.

I have a Celestron C90 too, but the few times I've tried to use it the
results have been worse than the 300 + teleconverters. I haven't spent
the time to figure out if it is me or the lens yet.

> my eyelids for pinhole leaks, etc., I simply forgot about the eclipse. Nice
> to know I could create shots from scratch in
> PS. :-)

I'd recommend Stellarium <http://www.stellarium.org> instead of PS for
this application :)

> Well, joking aside, I did enjoy them, and the last one is really quite nice.

Thanks. That's my favorite too, though the OCD in me likes the maximum
annularity photo as well. Albuquerque was on the center of the eclipse
path, so the moon would have been perfectly centered on the sun. The
OCD in me would also appreciate this, but not enough to drive to
Albuquerque on a Sunday night.

> I wonder if it would be easier to simply photograph an image projected
> through all that lens stuff with a simple camera
> lens combo than to use all the ND stuff with camera mounted to the lenses. As
> all the telextenders do is make the image
> larger, they might not be necessary, just project farther.

There were several setups like this, and I did make a pinhole for the
kids to play with. It's a fine way to view an eclipse, but I still
liked the view through the camera better :)

My ND filters were a few scrounged Wratten gels taped to a piece of
cardboard attache to the lens hood. Not quite as bad as a few inches
of stacked screw-on filters.

Mark