Re: [OM] IMG: Squirrel in B&W

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Squirrel in B&W
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 14:19:01 -0700
On 5/22/2012 3:41 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> I like the Neat Image best, though was it Neat Image or a focus thing. Makes
> it look sharper.

Neat Image has a (re)sharpening function to bring back detail lost in the noise
reduction. With some images, it's just
what the Dr. Focus ordered, as here.

>   Also, I think less of the black and white conversion because of the light
> blades of grass running in front of the squirrel.

That's easy enough to ameliorate, do an alternate conversion emphasizing green,
set below primary conversion layer(s),
select highlights in foreground, mask primary conversion layer, invert mask,
use bright/contrast/curves on lower layer
to taste.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Wary_Squirrel_89.htm>

> True, they're bright in color, too, but they don't take control of my eyes
> they way they do in black and white. I'd stick with color on this excellent
> portrait of a lawn pirate.

I like the color better, too. I just did this exercise to illustrate the
possibilities of better conversion.

Should I add an eye patch?

Converted to Piracy Moose