Re: [OM] IMG: Squirrel in B&W

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Squirrel in B&W
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 01:47:58 -0700
On 5/20/2012 9:24 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Nice work, Moose.  I have never tried NI on such a busy background, and I
> don't have the tools to do the blurred background,

The NI effect on the background disappears under the Gaussian Blur, anyway.

> but that is nice.

Thanks!

> On further examination, I note that NI killed the detail in the fur on his
> chest.  That was the type of result that caused me to avoid it with this
> image.  However, your grass in the foreground looks very nice.

Oy! My main point was the much gentler B&W conversion, with middle tonal values
held, not so rough and contrasty.

I've corrected as well as I can with the small image the area you refer to.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Wary_Squirrel_89.htm>

Really, noise reduction should be done first thing, at full size, then capture
sharpening. With that done properly, post
downsampling sharpening may be done without noise problems. That way, there
shouldn't be problems with areas like the
chest fur.

Sharply Corrected Moose