Re: [OM] (OM) OT Monochrome Leica digital camera

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Monochrome Leica digital camera
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 08:17:16 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Not the stock lens, Chris, in fact not an Olympus lens (!!) but a Sigma
>135-400.

     Ooooooh!  I've recently used a Sigma 28-85mm lens on the E-500, and except
for a slight problem of a couple of iris leaves sticking when cold it's a very
nice walkaround lens.  The macro only goes down to 1:5.5, which is of little
value for me.  I need to have 1:3 or so before there's any real advantage over
a non-macro lens.

>Zuiko Digital lenses produce equally attractive images:
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/phemy/Springtime-in-Infra-red.jpg.html
>was taken with a 14-54 ZD while
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/phemy/From Beinn Eighe.jpg.html
>was taken with a 40-150 ZD - although this image does not have the
>resolution and tonality of the Sigma images, more than likely
>because I had not, at that stage, properly understood how best to
>use the IR body - meter in LV using the histogram, compose in the >viewfinder,
>but leave the AF to find the correct IR focus (the
>viewfinder only hinders in this respect - maybe one day I will
>think about shimming it to suit IR).

     I've been mindful of late to pay attention to the IR offset on the
wide/telephoto zooms.  Of the ones I have here, those by Tokina seem to have
the least amount of offset.  My methodology is a bit labourious, first focusing
with visible light, adjusting the focus for the indicated IR offset, adding the
filter, then taking the TTL meter reading.  I need to practice this when our
current wildfires are under control.

Chris

Chris