Re: [OM] IMG: An Infrequent Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: An Infrequent Visitor
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 10:48:18 +0100
On 9 May 2012 00:15, Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012, at 03:08 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
> > >
> > > Piaggio makes nice scooters, too. And Moto Guzzis. <g>
> > >

> >      Those are interesting motorcycles.  I wonder if anyone else ever
> >      made
> > them with the engine turned that way so that the cylinders were ahead of
> > your shins instead of between them?  Seems that would provide better
> > cooling, especially out here.
>
> Honda made a V-twin in that fashion for a while.  Much better design
> than conventional V-twin for cooling.  Looks?  I dunno.

I presume you're referring to the CX/GL 500 and 650 from the late 70s/early
80s?  I suspect the cooling potential of the arrangement is rather
irrelevant in those motorcycles as they were liquid cooled, with a big
radiator in front of the engine.  Did a nice job of warming one's knees in
winter though. ;) (I had a CX650 for a couple of years).

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer