Re: [OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented a

Subject: Re: [OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented aperture priority..")
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 21:59:44 -0700
On 5/8/2012 11:59 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Moose wrote:
>
>> ... My Big-IS adapter has been working fine in Av mode. I do have to lie when
>> using it with the 600/8, and say it is f5.6,
>> though or the camera refuses to focus confirm.
> My adapter regularly will confirm focus at 5.6 and occasionally but not
> always at 8.  I'm sorry yours won't,

Slight misunderstanding.

Canons refuse to focus confirm a lens of less than f5.6 max aperture, as a
matter of principle, written into their
firmware. However, I can tell the adapter, which tells the camera, that the
lens is f5.6, then set the camera Av value
to f8. It then happily focus confirms at the actual f8 until the light gets too
low and records the correct aperture in
the EXIF.

Telling it an f8 lens is f5.6 works because they are both small apertures. If
you look at the example I just posted,
you'll see that Auto exposure inconsistency disappears down in that range.

I assume it will focus confirm right down to tiny apertures, as long as it
thinks the lens is at least f5.6 there is
enough light.

> but I must say I really don't need focus confirm with teles, and I'm guessing
> you probably don't really either.

Don't much need it at all, but that's another post.

Confirmed Focus Moose