Re: [OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented ap

Subject: Re: [OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented aperture priority..")
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 14:22:03 -0500
> My adapter regularly will confirm focus at 5.6 and occasionally but not
> always at 8.  I'm sorry yours won't, but I must say I really don't need
> focus confirm with teles, and I'm guessing you probably don't really
> either.

My DMC-L1 will focus confirm with anything stuck on the front. It just
does what it does. Olympus must not have been able to fit that
algorithm in the firmware.

Now, that does beg a question--does it work? Well, yes, but I'm not
impressed. The accuracy is marginal, but most importantly, the focus
confirm light requires that I'm paying attention to another indicator
in the viewfinder. I very much prefer to keep my eye on the focus
screen (subject) than lookin down or over at a data display.

Which is why I'll be quite interested in getting a focus screen
installed in the 5DMk2 that makes manually focusing easy.

Last evening, I went hiking in one of the local prairie/parks near
here. I carried just the DMC-L1 with 50/1.4 attached. A nice setup,
and the lens choice was deliberate for a specific shot I had in mind.
But while using the camera, I started envisioning using the 5DMk2. Why
it was top of mind was the fact my phone was pinging me with the
various emails on this list covering this very topic. I found myself
longing for that larger viewfinder and larger imaging area. Any pangs
of desire for the E-M5 were quickly squelched as I had that knowing
that this was definitely the right way to go.

Then I was thinking how to disguise the fact it's a Canon. I'm still
getting odd twitches when considering the concept of having a Canon in
my bag.

AG