Re: [OM] How Ken invented aperture priority (and the internet? (was "Re:

Subject: Re: [OM] How Ken invented aperture priority (and the internet? (was "Re: Fungal Friday")
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 12:12:49 -0500
>> What else do you know that we apparently don't?
> Moose, you don't want to ask that. ;^)

Yes, that is not a wise question to ask. I could delve into my other
love of audio. I'm sure I could pull up something really obscure to
bore you all to tears. Nah, I'll save that for the next Zuikofest.

> It's all my fault anyway.

In more ways than one. Most people don't realize that Joel is the
primary reason why I came back to the list ten years ago. Blame it on
him.

> Now Ken implied that people who prefer M mode are superior in some
> mysterious way to those who prefer A mode.

In the same way that people who prefer Raw mode are superior in some
mysterious way to those who prefer in-camera JPEG mode.

> On OMs that have A mode, there is an advantage to using it in that the
> camera will shoot at shutter speeds that can't be dialed in any other
> way.

The one distinct advantage the OM system has over pretty much every
other type of camera ever made is that slick little mode switch on the
top-left of the camera. This mode switch on the OM-2S, in particular,
is extremely handy. I set my desired aperture for the
scene/environment/situation and then establish a base exposure. I set
the shutter-speed to that base exposure. Then I flip the switch to
auto. As I'm photographing, I just kinda keep an eye on the bar graph
without really looking at it. If the graph seems to get out of sorts
from where I'm expecting it to be, I'll flip the switch to manual,
shoot and then just as quickly, flip it back. No harm, no foul.
Basically, I have a manual exposure which is right in the middle of
where I want to be and I let auto exposure adapt. Instead of messing
around with the exposure compensation dial, I'll just flip modes.
While modern PASM cameras can do pretty much the same thing (with
variances as the aperture setting may or may not be linked between the
A/M mode), the big headache for me is the digital readouts that tell
you in numeric terms what the settings are. I like my analog-style
display as I sense movement and don't need to take my eyes off the
subject in the viewfinder.

AG