[OM] 135 Macro (gasp...)

Subject: [OM] 135 Macro (gasp...)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 21:20:12 +0200
> Rays and Stamens
> http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/128/c/c/rays_and_stamens_by_philosomatographer-d4yxbfb.jpg
> (135/4.5 Macro wide open, Adox CHS Art 25, kitchen-sink developed in
> D76 1+1)

Digital can't touch this. Like - a D800 can't touch this. My image is
also the equal *in every respect* to similar sized-prints from my
Mamiya RB67 and 140mm Macro, using "normal" (llford FP4, etc) film.
That is damn hard to do (almost 1/5th the film area).

This lens / film combination makes my jaw drop - I have never seen
this kind of definition and tones from 35mm. This roll also sees the
first time ever that I have exceeded the "quality of image" rendered
by the Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 Heliar and my M3 (i.e. a new image
quality standard from 35mm for me). Well hell's bells, I guess the
film + technique *does* matter more than the lens / camera - but when
you put an excellent three together, magic happens.

The 135/4.5 Macro shot wide open, at optimum magnification (~1:5) on
Adox CHS is heaven, and I have gained new respect for 35mm film - a
medium that I came quite close to abandoning. Bill Barber, thanks for
selling me this most magnificent of lenses, and thanks for Freestyle
for shipping Adox film across the Atlantic :-) Move over Pan F (and
come closer, tripod...); I have found my new favourite film.

Dawid (more vindicated for choosing grains over pixels than ever
before) Loubser