Re: [OM] (OM) Two new images on FB

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Two new images on FB
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 19:43:02 -0400
I surrender and have to admit the error of my faulty memory.  In doing
my own investigation I have discovered essentially the same as you've
described here.  Also the additional piece of information that older
measurements of film's dynamic range didn't count what can now be
extracted with good scanning technique... as you yourself have
described.  I looked for specific claims on Kodak's website but didn't
find anything except a comment by a film maker that Kodak's latest movie
films give him 14 stops.  But I also saw some of the claims of up to 19
stops and not that this was bundled with a comment about extensive
scanning work to extract what's there.

I also had to review DPReview's measurements of dynamic range in their
various test and discovered that the full-frame Canons and Nikons of the
last few years (but not the very latest) test at 8.4-9.2.  The big
surprise was the OM-D E-M5 which (from reading the graph) appears to be
in the lead at about 9.5.

Chuck Norcutt