Re: [OM] (OM) Two new images on FB

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Two new images on FB
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 13:43:48 -0400
All modern DSLRs have at least the dynamic range of film (including
negative films) and most now exceed it.  It is not digital that fails to
cope, it's the operator behind the camera who fails to adapt.

Digital is not inferior... just different.  Digital's response to light
is completely linear.  Films have a response with a shallow "S" shaped
curve.  The response curve is linear or nearly linear over much of the
range but the ends do curve and approach pure black and pure white more
slowly.  Digital black and white happen suddenly, not slowly.  One must
be careful with exposure to avoid falling off one end or the other or
both.  But digital has more dynamic range overall and you are more
likely to capture the complete range of brightness with careful technique.

ps:  The horse in poplars a EV -0.7 was well exposed.  Perhaps you
should use -0.7 more frequently especially if bright areas of the sky
are included.  Look at the camera's histogram.  It will tell you.

Chuck Norcutt