Re: [OM] FM review by FM of D800 and OM 5DIII

Subject: Re: [OM] FM review by FM of D800 and OM 5DIII
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:29:06 -0500
> I guess we're all looking for the best sensor that we will actually use.

That, sir, is an outstanding analysis.

Basically, as HORRID as the sensor in the new 5DMk3 is, it's still
miles ahead of anything I'm using now.

I'm in fundraising mode. Now that I completed my big honkin annual
event shoot (and delivered 570 images out of 1699), I can free myself
of my existing kit and move on. I've got two high-end security cams
(long story), an E-1 and DMC-L1 to shed. Between all that and a couple
other doodads, we'll see how much money I have to put into a new body.

My choices to consider:

M-5D
GH3 (it's coming...)
Sony 7D
Canon 7D
Canon 5Dmk2
Canon 5Dmk3
Fuji X-PRO1

Number one concern is lens-mount compatibility with OM Zuikos. Number
two concern is skintones. Number three concern is kit
size/weight/gripabiltiy.

So far from what I've seen, the X-Pro-1 and 5Dmk3 are going to serve
me well. Panasonic really stinks at getting skintones right, so the
GH3 will probably be a no-go, unless they nail some other features.
The Sony is also borderline in this regard too. The M-5D is very
interesting and very likely to land in my bag, but I'm really really
tired of the 2X crop factor. 1.5 is closer...

I probably can't affrord the Mk3, and the Fuji is another "Model #1"
which I am vowing never to do again (A1, E-1, DMC-L1), but the camera
is a stout imaging machine with some serious ergonomic prowess.

Yeah, we've been here before....

AG