Re: [OM] (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:39:59 -0700
> It works but don't you think you've lost something?  Based on the shutter
> speeds the three scenes should exhibit overall gradients of 1,
> 1-1/3 and 2-2/3 stops.  But they don't.
Lost? I've gained data in the areas that would have been blown. And
frankly IMHO a steep gradient in an image tends to look unnatural, a la
polarizer. The gradient you're talking about does exist en sitio and
also would exist in the photo if shot in manual mode and if using
technology able to capture the full range of data. My E620 isn't there.
So we have to compress the data. Kinda like our eyes do.  I probably
could have shot one of those pans in manual mode but why bother? And I
prefer the compressed image with a reduced gradient.

Mike