Re: [OM] (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 10:43:58 -0700
>    It doesn't take much in the way of prognostication skills to predict that
> the shutter speed on the left will be faster than on the right.
With that I have no argument. Nor am I arguing against doing the manual
exposure method if it suits you. Personally I think it is better to
assure each frame is exposed without blown highlights/shadows. In scenes
with a wide dynamic range across the final image this is impossible to
do (with my technology :)  ) without using AP mode. There is no
expectation that the exposure will be even across the image as my
example shows. Compressed, yes.

I checked the shutter speeds:

Mt Baker, Aug11,  8 shots. 12mm, f8, 5 shot @ 1/4000,  1/2000. 1/2500,
1/3200.
This image is pretty evenly rendered since my back was to the sun.
Slowest exposure was the one with my daughter followed by the fog right.
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/PkButte-RRGrade/MtBaker3191-98.jpg>

Grandma's Cove, Aug11, 3 shots  12mm, f8. left to rt; 1/250, 1/160, 1/100
More of a gradient with the sun out of image left.
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Aug11/GrandmasCove2257-59.jpg>

Turtleback, Oct11, 5 shots. 18mm, f8. 5 shots, left to right; 1/600,
1/250, 1/800, 1/800, 1/800.
Pretty even, Sun behind over left shoulder.
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Oct11/Turtleback3918-22.jpg>

They appear to have been compressed ~1- 1½ stops. All images received
some PP.

Mike