Re: [OM] (OM) OT - sort of - apparent discernable resolution, on screen

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT - sort of - apparent discernable resolution, on screen
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:38:50 -0500
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 10:32 PM, Brian Swale wrote:

> Even though the file size is relatively minute, i contend that this image
> reveals its origin through the amazingly fine detail that can be
> discerned. My
> E-3 and factory-tuned DZ 14~54 lens could never make an image as good
> as this one. I have a relatively small CRT screen. 13 inches/33 cm
> diagonal.
> .
> http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/2012/March-2012.htm

I do think that's a fine image, though I don't know if it is because of
refinements that make it through the downsampling process, other than
the capture itself.  It appears to be shot at maybe around the 28mm
focal length (in 35mm terms) at a good stop, like f8.  As it is a
low-key capture, some of the telltale problems of downsampling are
minimized.  Very nice, in any case.

When you say "reveals its origin," it is impossible to know what you
mean for certain.  Since you indicate that the original has a lot of MP,
I think you must mean that more detail must have been captured and so
more simply gets through to the web image.  Do you think the detail is
superior to the photo on my homepage:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/index.html

Or is there a "je ne sais quoi" quality you are ascribing to your large
MP capture?

Also, the DZ 14-54 is a fine lens, but there are also a few that are
better, and you may be attracted to some characteristic of the guy's
optics.  Things like that certainly do make it through the downsampling
process, I think.

Joel W.

                          unladen european swallow