Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?

Subject: Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:37:59 +0200
On 15 Apr 2012, at 7:40 AM, Moose wrote:

>> You put me in a very difficult position, you know. The types of image
>> I have been posting (*here* - I post medium and large format
>> elsewhere)
>
> I would be interested in browsing some of those.

Hi Moose, here are are a random selection of some medium/large prints
from me (sorry, I just grabbed a list of URLs and plonked them in
here). These by no means all subscribe to my "typical" style, they are
quite varied - but hopefully there is still a shared compositional
vision behind most of them.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/292/8/e/haunted_africana_library_by_philosomatographer-d4dbtba.jpg
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/292/b/2/cannon_at_kimberley_by_philosomatographer-d4dbt3y.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/086/2/2/undergrowth_with_a_view_by_philosomatographer-d3cl9bc.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/086/1/8/dry_and_drying_by_philosomatographer-d3clb1b.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/164/e/3/surface_by_philosomatographer-d3itjlz.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/164/2/2/random_tree_no__611_by_philosomatographer-d3itofi.jpg
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/106/c/c/time_and_space_by_philosomatographer-d4wduyj.jpg
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/070/7/9/we_each_have_our_toys_by_philosomatographer-d4se173.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/009/d/8/arum_lilies_in_undergrowth_by_philosomatographer-d4lss9f.jpg
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/066/a/c/Unrestored___Toys_for_boys_by_philosomatographer.jpg
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/214/2/d/Dune_Bug_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Some rare colour slide images from a couple of years ago:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/190/3/e/One_magnolia_at_a_time_by_philosomatographer.jpg
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/116/4/c/Blue_Flare_by_philosomatographer.jpg
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/215/d/5/Kappertjie_by_philosomatographer.jpg

As always, my DeviantArt gallery is at:
http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/gallery/

regards,
Dawid

>> You are basically saying that I simply cannot use OM Zuikos to
>> realise
>> my vision properly?
>
> If that vision includes both very shallow DOF to isolate a selected
> 'slice' AND smooth OOF areas that don't introduce an
> edge quality AND moderate focal lengths, that may well be what I'm
> saying.

I was afraid of that... The interesting thing is, I wonder what would
be the best 35mm lenses for the job?
Certainly not the modern Leica ASPH lenses, they have awful bokeh
(except for the 50/1.4, which does seem mostly admirable).

> So - if what you have been posting, and I have been carping, I hope
> at least partly creative/constructively, about, is
> the best that can be done with those lenses ... If you vision is
> more like my altered version of "What's Keeping Her?"
> that the one you posted ...
>
> Then yup, those aren't the lenses, camera, films, whatever to
> realize that vision. But only based on the results.

You are probably right. Ironically, one has to admit that the Zuikos
come closer to this than most other 35mm lenses
(I recall, in general, many CaNikon lenses to be much more harsh than
the Zuikos. The Zeiss SLR lenses are quite nice
though, but so darn huge, and optically overrated for what they cost).

It's a pleasure as always to discuss these things.