Re: [OM] (OM) OT ... Sacrilege? Sedition??

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT ... Sacrilege? Sedition??
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 20:43:27 -0700
On 4/12/2012 2:35 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Truer words were never spoken. One thing we should all know for a certainty
> that while gear is a component of what we do, it's not the most important
> component.
>

> On Apr 12, 2012, at 4:30 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
>
>> And I don't think that spending $15K on new gear will make much difference.
>> :~(

To me, it's a balance. There is a minimum of talents and skills to do anything
well. Beyond that point, more spent on
equipment will generally have little effect on results. It may, however, make
reaching those results easier, quicker
and/or less expensive.

In your case, Jim, I think you are right on point with one exception. Your
current resources result in bird pics that
are less than what I think your general photo skills could easily do. Big crops
of E-1 images just aren't technically
very good.

If I were you, I'd be looking at an E-thingie with more megapixies, probably an
E-620. Then you could use the same lens
and technique and get more pleasing results.

Another alternative is to go Paul's way. Set up camera on tripod close to
feeder and use a wireless remote to fire it.
Prefocus might work well with your manual lenses. Apparently that's not the way
for me. I have all the pieces, but never
do it. Maybe I find something special in pushing the button myself on a camera
in my hands. :-)

Fuzzy Birds Moose