[OM] What's all this about Deconvolution? [was Happy ... ]

Subject: [OM] What's all this about Deconvolution? [was Happy ... ]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:25:24 -0400 (EDT)
Many have been waiting for the 64 bit version of FM and some have
jumped ship:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/957160/0

I was going to mention Topaz InFocus as well. I had reviewed several
comparisons and FM was faster to learn to use well and overall
at least just as good and superior to get good results quickly.  FWIW
had emailed acclaim software support about FM and a few days ago  they
said ---we are not ready to announce a release date "just yet."
4 months ago they  admitted to not even working on it at all.  The
looong delay does not bode well though.
When I use FM it just seems easier to use the 32 bit PS.  How to you
switch conveniently back and forth?

Moose writes:
>>I just tried DXO again, latest free trial version. They claim to work
with the
>>Tammy 28-300 VC, but the actual results
>>are just useless. I can do better with USM and FM is WAY better.

On the 60D??  It should report focusing distance and thus do a
reasonable job.  The converter and noise reduction as well as linear
distortion corrections should be fine.  Did you play with the "global"
and "detail" sliders  to adjust the deconvolution?  It knows where  the
lens is softer and does more processing in those areas.
The defaults are set to medium rare to avoid any chance of overcooking.
  It is context aware as well and appears set to avoid any artifacts at
all costs.

Many use it for some things and just save a tiff and open in PS.  It is
just a click to create a tiff in the output.  I think there is a box to
click to have the  color management as I usually do as well.  Layered
USM adjustment is not mutually exclusive with using DXO deconvolution.
The LCE slider in DXO seems to have a much wider radius than I like for
most images so I often turn it down.  Also USM in PS with "lens Blur"
and more accurate box checked is actually a deconvolution
algorithm-light.
Oddly DXO was very good with the G9 but less useful for the Canyon
24-105 on OM 5DMKII.  The color handling with flash at higher ISO's
seems very good.  I don't think I ever was satisfied with DXO at ISO
100 with the 24-105 w/o sending a tiff to PS (this is the list's fault
with Moose a good part to blame)  and the gains were modest at longer
FL wide open.  Listening to a webinar at 1AM a couple months ago it
seems that groups that use DXO Optic Pro commercially seem to always to
further PP in PS or somewhere.  They couldn't say that as DXO appeared
to fund the event, but it was clear reading between the lines.

DLO should support your 10-22 and might be interesting to try.

Keeping the Convoluted in Deconvolution, Mike