Re: [OM] Andrews review of the X-Pro-1, was cars

Subject: Re: [OM] Andrews review of the X-Pro-1, was cars
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 09:00:02 -0500
> I mentioned the Cosina 'theory' and he was unsurprised. Thought it made
> sense. He had the Fuji X-Pro on the counter and a few CosVoigt bodies in the
> cabinet and 30-40 lenses or so and an X-Pan 2 on the table next to him so we
> had the necessary props.

One slight clarification to my theory. I believe Cosina is also
manufacturing the lenses for this camera too. That is actually a good
thing. They built the Zeiss Ikon bodies and lenses. And even the
latest Voightlander lenses are of a build quality not typically seen.
The actual optical design is Fuji, but the build is not.

Honestly, I doubt that Fuji has been building their own higher-end
lenses/bodies for many years. The camera and lens division was always
so small that it only takes the retirement of a small handful of
people for them to lose the ability to produce. This happened to Nikon
with the FM3A. They actually had to bring people out of retirement to
build it. That skillset is now completely gone.

If a company is constantly building complex camera designs, it makes
sense to keep the design, tooling and manufacturing in-house. But just
looking at Fuji, they haven't done anything like this in years, so the
liklihood of outsourcing is almost certain. And when it comes to
outsourcing a camera like this, there is only one company that can do
it.

Something else has been grating at me. What if this ISN'T a Fuji
design? What if it's actually a Cosina design shopped around? If so,
we'll very likely see a Zeiss digital camera soon.

I'm still thinking that Sigma had something to do with the software, though.

AG