Re: [OM] CHP enforcement was Re: (OM) OT Really OT :-(

Subject: Re: [OM] CHP enforcement was Re: (OM) OT Really OT :-(
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 18:45:25 -0500
> Did you consider pulling over for 5 minutes to let it pass?
> Stress reduction technique.

I actually knew him. Iowa doesn't have many state officers and he's
the regular in our part of the state. (it's the nature of the beast
that we know so many of the peace officers--I got to meet three locals
Friday night in ER). It was the end of his shift and he was heading
back to HQ. Last thing he wanted was to be bothered stopping and being
late getting home.

I didn't say I slowed down THAT much. I kept it within 10% or so of
the speed limit. As long as I keep it below 77. (Did verify my
speedometer with the GPS, though). Last night was another story. :)
Had a tailwind.

Actually, it was good that he kept me paced this morning. They were
running speed traps this morning and using the airplane west of Des
Moines. They do that every couple of weeks.

It's the locals and county boys you gotta watch out for. The state
patrol is very professional and curtious and is more likely to give
you a warning if you man up and acknowledge the truth while giving
them the utmost respect. The others are just making budget and there
is no way you are getting away without a fine.

Hint: They will always pull you over for a taillight or license plate
light issue. It's a gateway for them to check for other violations. If
you mouth off, you'll have your car searched for sure and you'll be on
the side of the road for a good couple of hours. It's amazing how slow
the K9 unit will drive if they want to make your life miserable. On
slow news days, they'll do this to somebody at least once. However,
when the weather isn't very good, they have their hands full just
keeping traffic moving. Interstate traffic is so heavy here that when
things turn to mush we're bound to get some wild accidents involving
multiple vehicles.

Oh, one teeny tiny warning. They're running a bunch of unmarked cars
now. Very tricky too. "Normal" license plates and no visible exterior
antennas. The flashing lights are hinged with actuators so that are
not visible through the windows. The front flashers are buried inside
the grill as well as in the headlights. SUVs, cars and pickup trucks.
Of course, in different colors. There is one little giveaway, though.
Low-profile high-speed tires and the bumpers don't quite look right.
The Chevy Tahoes are running just a little lower to the ground too.
Definitely modded. I had one pass me one day at a very high pursuit
speed a couple months ago. It shook my Jeep when he went past. I was
doing about 75 myself when he went by well north of 100. Very well
north of 100.

AG