Re: [OM] Big Chomp No Chew

Subject: Re: [OM] Big Chomp No Chew
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 06:58:10 -0400
Just one question.  Why would you drop down to pixel viewing (100%) to
evaluate the images?  Ever since reading Bruce Frasier's book on
sharpening I've used 33% to evaluate sharpening for print or, for that
matter, how any image is likely to look in print.  Frasier's rationale
was that evaluating the look of a print on a monitor needed to account
for the difference in resolution between print and screen.  If your
monitor has 100 pixels/inch and you're going to print at 300 dpi viewing
the image at 100/300 or 33% will give you the best impression of what
the print will look like.  When used for sharpening his method is to
sharpen what you see on screen until it looks just slightly "crunchy".
The reason is that printing on paper will have a slight softening effect.

So, if a final print or even on-screen image view will never be anywhere
near 100% why would you evaluate the image at that level?

Chuck Norcutt