Re: [OM] Early 40's 4x5 Kodachromes

Subject: Re: [OM] Early 40's 4x5 Kodachromes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:09:20 -0700
On 3/15/2012 5:22 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
>      I had to search for this, and finally found my copy of "Ansel Adams in
> Color" edited by Harry M. Callahan (Little, Brown and Co., 1993, ISBN
> 0-8212-1980-4).  Adams began using Kodachrome shortly after is was invented
> in the mid-1930s, and this collection of landscape photos is every bit as
> captivating as is his B&W work.  The photo of El Capitan, taken in 1952
> (opposite page 9) is a wonderful study of colour, form, and balance.

I've commented on this book here before, probably before you had joined.

You have the first edition.  A revised and expanded edition was published in
October, 2009. Additional images were
added, as well as more text. I seem to recall that the very interesting
appendix of a selection of Adam's writings about
color photography was also added. Enough words have been added at the beginning
that the portfolio itself doesn't start
until page 37.

I have not seen the first, but have read that the reproduction quality is
considerably improved. The editors of the
revised edition say only that it "... offers a more faithful representation of
Ansel's color photography than has
previously been possible." I believe all the transparencies were scanned with
later technology.

It's also an amazing deal, I think, at under $25.

Just flipping through it again, I am struck by "Green Hills, Evening, Near
Gilroy, California, 1945 as an example of the
kind of low key landscape about which I recently posted, that is unspectacular,
but will wear well. Already, with only a
few years experience with limited color materials, Adam's clearly understood
that a subject that could be too flat in
B&W may work in color.

It's a sexy image too, to me. I have always found the soft, rolling hills of
coastal California to be very sensual. (Now
where's that shot I took of the delta of trees at the head of a short valley?
Hmmm... )

Colorful Moose