Re: [OM] 90/2.0 Macro + Pan F = Smile

Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2.0 Macro + Pan F = Smile
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:49:36 -0500
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 01:37 PM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Every time I develop a roll of Pan F where I used predominantly the
> 90/2.0, I realise how privileged I am to be using this combination.
> It's just about the most pleasing that 35mm film has to offer. These
> were from my most recent roll (developed in the kitchen sink,
> currently darkroom-less, which is a whole separate crisis):
>
> http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/072/5/7/tanning_by_philosomatographer-d4sm68i.jpg
> http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/072/4/9/artistic_irrigation_by_philosomatographer-d4sm65x.jpg
> http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/072/b/4/water_lily_pond_1_by_philosomatographer-d4sm61s.jpg
> http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/072/1/d/floral_sundial_by_philosomatographer-d4sm66x.jpg
>
> Excuse the hint of grain (Pan F darkroom prints have none
> appreciable). Scanning 35mm film on an Epson V700 is just about as
> much fun (and effective) as... as... darn, can't think of an analogy.
> But it sucks. I'll print these properly when I have the means again
> someday. I've made friends with the focusing accuracy of the 2-series
> focusing screen it seems, much as I have a little side-flirtation with
> a Nikon F viewfinder going on. But the olympus lenses are where it's
> "at", for sure.
>
> What do you guys think of these? Not even Moose can criticise the
> *perfect* bokeh in these :-)
> Oh darn, now I've asked for it.

I love them all, Dawid, which I think will not surprise you, and only
partially because I recognize the friendly effects of the lens, but
primarily for the artistry of the capture (and the clever titles).

Bokeh on the water lily photo seems fine to me (pace Moose) as
derivative of the content.  You can't capture that kind of blurred
content, lens for lens, much better than that.  And it could have been
much worse.  St. Ansel would have had every item in focus and burned the
background in to concentrate attention on the subject lily.  I think I
might have preferred that approach, but it wouldn't be a Dawid photo in
that case. :)

Joel W.