Re: [OM] FYI - Kirk did a nice preview of the OMD

Subject: Re: [OM] FYI - Kirk did a nice preview of the OMD
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:28:28 -0500
>    Sorry I have not kept up with the list for a while...

That's OK. Anytime you jump in it is always welcome.

>    I have to say, I really had a hard time with the EVF viewfinder.

Your report on this is extremely valuable for me. In my limited
testing with the Sonys, I've noticed some of these same things, but
didn't know to what extent I'd be bothered by them. We humans can be
highly adaptive when needed. I'm not soo stuck in my ways that I'm not
willing to try new approaches. (I do revert to old ways when the old
ways prove superior for me).

>   it renders exposure slowly

Are you talking about the auto viewfinder gain? I noticed this trait
myself and thought it was a little disconcerting. My old Minota A1 has
only two levels of gain (the way I have it configured), so this
blooming seemed a bit unusual. The OVFs of my DSLRs have no such auto
gain. The only auto gain is in the eyeball.

>  is impossible to  manually  focus

Not my own personal experience, but I will admit that a slightly
faster refresh would be welcome because I ended up going too far in my
adjustments and having to back up.

>    I feel completely a slave to the camera.

On Saturday, I actually ran into this problem with my E-1. The bright
sunlight made it difficult for me to see the digital readouts, so I
just slapped it in auto exposure and cleaned up the body parts later
during Raw conversion.

>    evaluate with the EVF, and yes I have focus peaking on.

I use focus peaking in Sony video cameras. It's been a feature for a
number of years. It is helpful, but impossible to compose through. I
don't use it when I need to be artistic or creative, but for standard
fare talking-heads or tracking a speaker walking back and forth on a
stage, it's good for establishing or verifying focus.

>  Touch screen  controls don't work with your nose on the back of the camera.

This depends a lot on whether or shoot verticales right hand under or
right hand on top. I'm usually RHOT, so nose prints aren't so much a
problem for me.

>    All I can say is you have to live with a camera for a while to know it
>    will work.

Absolutely. This is why I always question those who jump from camera
to camera like they are changing socks.

>    But my photography has gone down hill ever since the OM-4t.

That's odd. My photography has gone uphill since the OM-4t.(and OM-3Ti).

:)

I think Olympus must have put some secret sauce in your cameras
because they have greatly improved my photography.

AG