Re: [OM] Changes coming on Zone-10

Subject: Re: [OM] Changes coming on Zone-10
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:22:07 -0600
> At the price of cell phone data transmission I have chosen to keep data
> away from my phone.  I can wait to get home for wifi access.  There's
> nothing so urgent in my life that I need 3G/4G/XG or whateverG to send
> photos somewhere.  :-)

While I agree with you in principle, I definitely disagree in
practice. Having a decent smartphone has greatly altered a number of
thing in my life.

1. I don't carry the iPad around nearly as much.

2. I can video conference with my family while I'm out of town.

3. Manuals, exposure guides and other photographic information,
including DoF calculators are available.

4. Turn by turn navigation to whatever place I need to go that I've
never heard of before.

5. No need to fight the non-functional WiFi connection in the typical
motel just to check email.

6. Integration with Google mail, calendar, contacts, documents...

7. YouVersion, TPE and Pandora.

8. And finally the one that pays for the entire data plan: GasBuddy.

The instant messaging which is either classic IM or GTalk is a nice
aspect of this. I can go from phone to iPad to desktop seemlesssly.

There are some things where I'm a stick-in-the-mud recalcitrant, but
I'm sold on smartphones. It pains me to have to pay a phone bill to
the landline company. Oh, wait!  Grrr.....

AG