Re: [OM] Changes coming on Zone-10

Subject: Re: [OM] Changes coming on Zone-10
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 12:44:06 -0600
> I would not want to depend on ANY camera company for my income these
> days. IT is looking more and more like cell phone makers are going eat
> the camera companies lunch!

EXACTLY!

The idea is to move entirely away from the external advertising model.
No more ad placements for anything. Except for what I'm directly
offering. Time to get back around to doing what makes direct income.
I've got my own brand to promote. No need for me to give free
advertising space to everybody else. To make the click-ad revenue
work, a site really needs to be pulling in 5000 visitors a day. Based
on the analysis reports, the click-per-visitor ratio (and subsequent
income) I would need about 8000 visitors a day to replace my day job.
That's about what Ken Rockwell is doing when he keeps his content
fresh. It's a full-time job and then some to keep 8000 visitors
rolling to your site every day.

The other problem with this is that the revenue dollars for ad
placement is going to start shifting (it already has) away from the
one-lung publishers. We'll see a major redirection once Facebook gets
their ad revenue sorted out. If Facebook is struggling with monetizing
its site, what makes you think I can do any better?

So, the click income has pretty much covered hosting, domain and legal
fees. It pays for the occasional roll of film. OK, a couple rolls of
film per month. but that is by no means worth the work.

So, to the camera brands. This is where things need to start changing.
I can no longer be an Olympus-centric site. I can't even be a
Canon-centric site. To succeed at the direction change, I need to
really not be tied to any brand. There is an exception to this,
though. The OM content is actually pretty important as it will serve a
very specific purpose. Can't tell you much more than that, though,
because it is still being sorted out.

What I will be doing though, is making this new business effort
modular enough that I could plug in any new wild hair idea that comes
along without seeming like I'm reinventing the wheel all over again.
Modular is good. When something ain't working, I can unplug it and
plug something else in.

AG