Re: [OM] Sky falling in on Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Sky falling in on Kodachrome
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 22:12:13 -0600
Chuck, anything moving through the air supersonically (>620 mph) will form a
shock wave.  Normally, at Mach 2, such as the Lockheed flights out of
Marietta, GA that pass over us each week, you only hear the noise when the
conical bow wave passes your location.  I have cracked drywall in the
kitchen ceiling to attest to that.

At high supersonic speeds such as you are suggesting, the shock sweeps back
very steeply, so, unless it was aimed precisely at you, you would likely not
be aware of it at all.  If it passed over your location in a more horizontal
path, the sound would be more likely be noticed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA