Re: [OM] TEST

Subject: Re: [OM] TEST
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:48:49 -0700

> >     Speaking of which, that eBay problem I experienced back in December
and
> > again in January happened agin this morning, resulting in lots of eBay
> > features being disabled.  This time it only happened with Firefox, so I
> > still have full use of IE8.  Seems it arrived as a piggy-back on an eBay
> > item description, and this time it is not in the form of a cookie as
before.
> > I deleted them all and the problem did not go away.
> >
> >     Other manifestations included the disabling of the cordless mouse.
Had
> > to cold start the laptop to get that back.  I'm doing yet another virus
> > scan, but it will take about four hours.
> >
> >     I'd really like to get my hands around the throat of whoever it is
who
> > has too much time on their hands.
>

> If your regular userid has admin privileges, then remove them!
> (If the malware alters the anti-virus software or installs a root-kit
> which alters Windows so that it lies to the anti-virus software, then
> the anti-virus software "sees" nothing.) The best is to boot to safe
> mode and scan with a fresh copy of some antivirus software. All major
> antivirus vendors supply a bootable CD (or similar) for that.

    Yes, however I found the root of the Firefox problem.  The Trojan (or
whatever it was) reset all of the options back to default, and eBay requires
that pop-ups not be blocked in order to access those functions that were
suddenly disabled.  That's a manual setting, and it's the exact same thing
that happened back in November for numerous users of both IE8 and Firefox.

    This one also altered ALL of my CBS financial stock chart URLs, and I
had to go through and manually change all of them back to what they had been
earlier, meaning late yesterday.

    These piggyback Trojans seem to be one-shot operations, where they do
the damage and then delete themselves.  It's no wonder that they come
screaming through firewalls and virus screens.

Chris