Re: [OM] Norcutt/Hansen South Florida ZuikoFest

Subject: Re: [OM] Norcutt/Hansen South Florida ZuikoFest
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:11:39 -0500
Ditto.  A really great time.  But don't expect much out of Chuck's 5D.
The ants were too fast and too hard to focus on with my Viv S1 90/2.5
and the Jays were too far away and too fast for me to get much of
anything usable.  As Dean says, macro and wildlife is hard stuff.  But
the company and conversation was great.  I also met Dean's wife Barbara
who is a paleo-something-or-other.  She studies soil cores drilled and
drawn from deep under the Florida lakes in the area in order to identify
the flora of the past (up to 40,000 years old).  She identifies the
stuff by examining the pollen.

I was fascinated by Dean's macro gear.  I saw all sorts of OM gear that
I've never seen other than in the eSIF.  He also has some very
interesting homebuilt gear to help out.

But I did learn one of his secrets today.  Since I couldn't even follow
the ants around (who were trying to escape from the ant lion) I at first
couldn't imagine how he manages to do those extreme macro shots of even
tinier acquatic insects in a flowing stream.  Turns out the flowing
stream is the secret.  To keep from being washed away in the stream the
aquatic insects stick themselves to a rock with body secretions that act
as glue.  The water is flowing but those little guys are stuck in place
just waiting for Dean to come and take their portraits.  :-)

I'll try to post something tomorrow if I find something usable.

It was a bit special getting to meet Amadeus the eastern indigo snake.
They're an endangered species and I don't believe I've ever seen one
even in a zoo.  They're gorgeous, very deep, dark purple and very
iridescent with rose colored lower jaw and neck.  Gentle as a puppy but
they eat eastern diamondback rattlers by overpowering them and
swallowing them head first.  A hard way to get lunch.  Our quiche and
salad today was much easier to catch. :-)

Chuck Norcutt