[OM] Norcutt/Hansen South Florida ZuikoFest

Subject: [OM] Norcutt/Hansen South Florida ZuikoFest
From: hanse112@xxxxxxx
Date: 20 Feb 2012 18:44:04 -0600
Hello all,
     My wife and I are spending the month of Florida working/relaxing at a
biology station in southern Florida (see <www.archbold-station.org>). When
Chuck Norcutt mentioned on the List some time back that he was spending the
winter in Florida, I contacted Chuck and invited him to spend part of a day
here at Archbold. Today was the day.
     Chuck arrived with his Canon 5D, an OM 4, and assorted lenses. I
showed him my arsenal of OM Zuiko macro lenses (20/2, 38/2.8, 50/3.5, 80/4,
and 135/4.5 (from well-known List enabler Bill Barber)), bellows, reversed
7mm movie camera lens for high magnification, etc. I had my
cross-polarization equipment set up and demonstrated to Chuck how it
greatly reduces reflections.
     Chuck wanted to see an Indigo Snake. Luckily, there is a research
fellow here working on this species, and he brought out a captured example
for show-and-tell. The snakes (3, IIRC) will be brought up to the U of
Florida where they will be put under anesthesia and will have a radio
transmitter installed in their body cavity. Then they are released where
they were captured, and they will be monitored for roughly a year before
the transmitter has to be replaced.
     We tried to feed some ants to ant lion larvae, but, well, things
didn't go quite as well as hoped for. Calling in a family of scrub jays
went much better, and Chuck was able to put his 80-200mm lens to good
effect here.
     After a bit of post-processing, I'll try to get a couple shots of our
day up on PhotoBucket. It was a very enjoyable day together. It was very
nice to put a face and a person on all those knowledgeable posts Chuck
contributes to the List.
Dean