Re: [OM] OM-D specs!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D specs!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 16:51:54 -0800
On 2/7/2012 11:21 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
>> Build in a table of OM Zuikos so you select the lens, then a connection
>> for a new adapter that reads aperture and activates stop down and you
>> capture all the remaining old OM junkies. Seems unlikely, but we will
>> soon know.
>      I would take an immediate interest in such an item, even more so it the
> adapter line included adapters to Nikon F, Pentax K, etc.  so that we still
> have the wonderful diversity that we enjoy now.

I wouldn't actually hold your breath. ;-)

> Neither comment nor criticism; just simple curiosity.
>
> Why E510/20? When I have occasionally caught E-thingie fever, I have
> always thought the E-620 to be the most desirable non "Pro" body.
>
>      So I don't end up with a endless variety of batteries.

Sorry, not good enough. Get a 620. If you like it, get another, and dump the
E-51x bodies.

I made the move from 5D to 60D in spite of the changed battery and different
card format. Definitely worth it.

>> In addition to other, mostly minor, but still significant, improvements,
>> the 520 brings an articulated screen to the three digit bodies. An
>> articulated screen for live view is just the cat's pajamas for nature
>> work. For many shots, set the tripod up lower than required for eye
>> level viewing and twist the LCD up for viewing. For really low stuff,
>> avoid getting down and dirty - literally - to get the right angle and
>> still see to focus. Shoot straight up, or close to it, without neck
>> strain.
>>
>> Better angles, lower average tripod height for quicker use and greater
>> stability, less wear and tear on my body, steadier eye and hand on the
>> camera - what's not to love?
>>
>      Yes to all of that.  Have you tried using a right-angle eyepiece?  Just
> the thing for low-angle shots close to the ground.

I've had two varimagnis for OM for ages, lovely pieces - and a generic that's
not as nice, but works, for the Canons.
Articulated live view is just plain better for me.

Looking at the group of images you posted some weeks ago, I thought you might
have a vision problem with focus on your
viewfinder. Some shots on the money, others just plain soft. If that should be
the case, the slightly better finder in
the 620 might help. And articulated live view should really help for tripod
shots.

I guess that is assuming 620 live view has a good magnified focusing image
available. On the 60D, I have 5x and 10x.
Five is usually enough on the 3", 1 MP LCD. The 2.7", 230k LCD of the 620 may
require the full 10x it has available.

Smoothly Articulated Moose