Re: [OM] OM-5D macro comparisons

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-5D macro comparisons
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 15:34:08 +0200
On 02 Feb 2012, at 4:07 AM, Moose wrote:

> On 1/31/2012 12:39 AM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
>> http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/150/a/e/twice_bitten__not_shy_by_philosomatographer-d3hky2o.jpg
>
> OK, you are driving me crazy. :-)
>
> I love the composition, the tonalities, the in and out of focus
> happening with the leaves, etc. You nailed the focus
> with your wait for the wind to wave it into the right place for
> wonderfully clear antennae and body detail on the front
> of the body/wings.
>
> But the OOF back left part of the wings bugs me. I know I should be
> a more perfect viewer, see all the good stuff and
> let the other go.
>
> I'm leaving it up in my browser to see if I can manage some self
> improvement. :-)
>
> Moose

Thanks for the comments, Moose! I would have loved, *loved*, to have
the entire
Moth in perfect focus.

It was angled around 30 degrees away from me, obliquely (not purely
horisontal or vertical). I had to do the best I could with a moving (!!)
subject to set up the camera movements accordingly, as it swished into
and out of
focus every couple of seconds.

Considering this is taken with the equivalent of a 40mm f/1.4 Macro
lens wide open,
when even at f/16 you couldn't get this moth nearly as in-focus with a
(non-tilt-shift)
Macro lens for the 35mm system, I am very proud of this shot, and
don't beat myself up
over the small imperfection... :-)

You are indeed a unique "viewer", Moose, but nobody here would expect
it any other way!

submitting-to-the-ultimate-critic-Dawid