Re: [OM] Going on Safari

Subject: Re: [OM] Going on Safari
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 21:15:54 +0000
On 31/01/2012 20:19, Bill Pearce wrote:
>  I would, were I going
> again, take something in the 600 area, a fast 300, money and weight
> allowing, something like a 70-200, and something near 28. Also a decent
> point n shoot. I cant imagine where you will use the tripod and the beanbag,
> but a monopod was handy, as most shooting was from inside the Land Cruiser.
>
> What will be your transportation? This can limit weight allowed. Last two
> legs to the camp were on a single piston engine Cessna and an aging
> eurocopter, hence weight limits, but bags were weighed by the pilot hefting
> them, not with a scale.

The only fast 300 I have is the manual Tamron 2.8, I was hoping to avoid
taking that!! It's a monster...

I was only considering the 70-300 for its reach, as the LL article on
Tanzania mentions the 500/4 as the most used lens. We're blowing the
budget on the holiday and the balloon flight, so I'll be trying to pick
up wee bargains to take along, between now and July.

The decent point and shoot is a good idea, just got to pick one up used
if I can; a raw-shooter if possible.

As far as I know our transportation from Arusha is all by land cruiser,
the only flights in Africa are to Kilimanjaro International from Nairobi.

Been there done that with the luggage weighing, with survey gear on
offshore chopper flights in the North Sea and Morecambe Bay...

;-)

Donald.

--
I'm a Mac, but I'm happy with my PC.