Re: [OM] Going on Safari

Subject: Re: [OM] Going on Safari
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:32:45 -0800
On 1/30/2012 11:28 AM, Donald wrote:
> On 28/01/2012 16:26, Donald wrote:
>> We've just booked
>> <http://www.explore.co.uk/holidays/details/serengeti-lodge-safari>  for
>> July/August this year.
>>
>> Has anyone any experiences or advice? Not necessarily this company or
>> specific tour.
>>
>> Photographic and otherwise?
>>
>> All contributions greatfully recieved!!
> Replying to myself  ;-(

I imagine others might have been in the same situation as I am.

I'm just not sure whether I am envious or not. The half of me that is, doesn't
want to dwell on it. :-)

Not having done anything remotely similar, the only advice I could bring to the
table would be largely speculative - and
thus of dubious value.

Redundancy does seem important to me for such a trip. I would probably buy a
600D, second 60D or 7D as spare, take two
chargers and lots of batteries and cards. The 5D might go as spare, instead of
a new APS-C camera. I'd lose some tele if
60D were to fail, but not lose WA if 10-22 were to fail, and the darn thing
uses a different battery than the others.
Still, it makes a good two camera set-up with the 60D, if one wants to avoid
changing lenses out in wind and dust.

For lenses, 10-22 with Tamron 17-35 AF backup, 50/1.8, two 28-300s, IS and
plain and Vivitar 600/8.

My usual travel tripod, small tripod for table top and strapping to things,
small computer, 500GB external drive, G11
and S100, GPS tracker.

Now that wasn't any help for the gear you have or might buy, was it? ;-)

I do wish you a fabulous experience!

Moose