Re: [OM] Site of the last self-propelled Zuikofest

Subject: Re: [OM] Site of the last self-propelled Zuikofest
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:07:24 -0600
No, I haven't read "A Superior Death. Not sure I want to till after my
next visit. :)  Nor would I want to go there this time of year. Ain't
nobody there but them there wolves and moose. It's brutal cold there
and has that penetrating damp coldness to the air. I'm sure the guys
from Deadliest Catch would be right at home, though.

I've spent quite a bit of time exploring "Copper Country" for some
eventual hosted Zuikofest. It may or may not ever happen, but if it
does, I believe I've found enough equivalencies to Isle Royale to
satisfy the "100 yards" crowd. Yet, it just isn't the same.

My next trip to Isle Royale is probably going to be with a Sea Kayak.
I would also like to do the resident artist program. Yet my daughters
and I are threatening to do a backpacking trip there too. Bummer, so
many desires, so few lifetimes.

Isle Royale is simply unlike any other US National Park. It's very
unusual in that as you approach the island on the boat, the air seems
to change. The air is just different. Sounds are different. It's North
Woods Meets Sea.

AG