Re: [OM] Olympus OM-D and Historical Context

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus OM-D and Historical Context
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:21:53 -0800
On 1/21/2012 10:08 AM, Bill Pearce wrote:
> Let me say this again: What I want is a FF digital OM that takes all my
> legacy lenses. And, since most of my photography is done with WA lenses 28
> and wider, that lets out the OM-D (or any other m4/3) and an adapter.

In my post about how it would be possible to make an auto aperture adapter for
OM lenses on EOS cameras, I may have made
it seem that they aren't good "OM-Ds" without it.

In fact, with adapters with the later AF confirm chips, the 5D and 5DII are
really quite nice FF cameras for OM lenses.

The AF confirmation seems to work for some people, and not as well for others.*
Whether it's differences in people,
chips, lenses, whatever, putting attention only on the AF ignores a, to me,
larger issue. Using an adapter that reports
the actual maximum aperture to the camera largely takes care of the exposure
problems.

Without that, one needs to either remember lots of details from experiments or
chimp a lot. With that, at least in my
experience, exposure is generally right with the first shot. My first uses of
OM lenses on a 300D were really a pain due
to exposure variances. Although I seldom used it with OM lenses, the 5D seemed
no better.

With such an adapter, ALL you need to do beyond using an OM body, is remember
to manually stop down for the shot and
open up again for the next one. (Back to counting clicks.) In bright
conditions, with my eyes, it's often not necessary
to open up at all; frame, focus and shoot at shooting aperture.

I find MF on the 5D with the normal screen quite doable in most light, but my
eyesight is excellent. Many folks report
good luck with the AF confirmation chips. With the 5DII, live view allows
pinpoint focus when working with tripod and
static subjects.

The chipped adapters are very inexpensive now, so one buys one for each lens,
sets it for that lens and leaves it on.
Getting focal length in the EXIF is nice too.

Not trying to sell anybody anything. Just bringing information about the
current state of affairs to light. If the OM-D
is just a µ4/3 styling exercise with more controls, you might want to take a
look at a FF Canon. The way things are
going here with the 60D, my 5D may be for sale by then. :-)

Moose

* Some chips allow micro adjustment of AF. I haven't tried that, nor do I know
if it works with all cameras, or only some.