Re: [OM] Using adapted manual lenses, was: Kirk Tuck on micro 4/3

Subject: Re: [OM] Using adapted manual lenses, was: Kirk Tuck on micro 4/3
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:24:06 -0800
On 1/11/2012 8:41 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yes, I actually own one but haven't been inspired enough yet to try it
> on other than the 90/2.5 S1 macro where it doesn't fit.  Every OM
> adapter I've ever bought fits the bodies but, except for the very first
> one some 4 or 5 years ago, is too tight to allow that lens to fit. ...
>    I may have to break down and spend more than $20.

I have that same adapter. It works well, but the process of setting it to the
characteristics of a lens is tedious and
eats up shutter cycles. I used my old 300D for that. I can't imagine using one
regularly on several lenses. At that
price, I'd just buy one for each lens and set each up only once. That should
work very well.

It's proven useful to me on my Tokina 600/8, not so much for focus, although
that works pretty well. The big advantage
is the info it gives the camera body so it gets exposure right. Having useful
EXIF is nice, too.

Before, I had to go to manual, set at least -2 exposure and chimp to get long
distance landscapes right. Tedious. With
the EMF adapter, the exposure is generally right first time. I do have to lie
to the camera and say the lens is f5.6, as
Canon bodies won't deign to try focus confirmation with lenses slower than
that. I've never tried it in the dark, but
the focus confirmation has worked for me.

Exposure works well, too, as the camera can't tell that the lens is slower,
rather than the scene being less bright. It
seems that all the camera needs is a lens that reports back to it, to get
exposure right, not necessarily that it
reports the truth.

As to fit, this adapter fits most lenses I tried it on rather nicely, mostly
Zuikos, but was loose on the 600/8. Once I
knew I was unlikely to use it on anything other than the 600/8, I put some tape
on the mount face, which was just right.

You can see the problem the makers have. The same adapter is a good fit for
Zuikos, too tight on a Vivitar and too loose
on a Tokina.

> On 1/11/2012 8:02 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>> Chuck,
>> Had you ever used or considered something like this for your focusing
>> issues?
>>
>> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/120455145283?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2981wt_1163>

Adaptable Moose