[OM] Using adapted manual lenses, was: Kirk Tuck on micro 4/3

Subject: [OM] Using adapted manual lenses, was: Kirk Tuck on micro 4/3
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 06:58:48 -0500
When I bought my 5D one of the main considerations was its adaptability
to my OM Zuikos.  But have I ever really used them?  Seldom is the
answer.  When I first bought the camera I started off with a new Tokina
28-80/2.8 and shortly thereafter added a used Tokina 80-200/2.8.  Other
than the Zuiko 80-250 I had nothing on the long end exceeding 200mm and
it didn't seem useful to use the slower Zuiko for the sake of 50mm.  On
the short end the only Zuiko I had less than 28mm was the 24/2.8.  That
did get used for a while as a landscape lens at f/11.  Hyperfocal
methods obviated the need for focusing through the 5D's view finder.
That's difficult for me and the focusing scale works just fine for
hyperfocal stuff.  Since then I've added a Tamron 24-135/3.5-5.6 which
has become the outdoor walk-around lens so the 28-80/2.8 usually stays
home.  Then I added a Tamron 20-40/2.8-3.5 which meant that even the
Zuiko 24/2.8 now stays home.  The Tamrons are old, film era Canon AF
mount.  But they autofocus much better than my tired old eyes do
manually and I only paid about $200 for the pair of them.  The only OM
mount lenses still used on the 5D are the Zuiko 50/3.5 macro and the
Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 macro.  And I shoot precious little macro.

Oops, I almost forgot the T-mount Orion 500/5.6 mirror lens/spotting
scope.  I didn't like it on film since it has low contrast due to the
large secondary mirror.  But I thought digital post-processing would
solve the contrast problem.  So I bought a Canon EOS T2 mount to try it
out.  So far it has never even been mounted on the camera.  :-)

So much for lens adaptability.

Chuck Norcutt