Re: [OM] Hawk

Subject: Re: [OM] Hawk
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 07:53:22 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > Friday afternoon, had a small hawk take a pigeon on our
> > driveway.  Was feeding on it just outside the kitchen
> > window.  I grabbed the Panasonic FZ100 for the burst
> > capability.  I believe that it was a Sharp-shinned
> > juvenile.  Juvenile being less than a year old.
> > <http://www.pbase.com/pelaughlin/image/140779879>
> > I was shooting through the kitchen window, at an angle
> > and the window was not as clean as I would have liked.
> > Plus the need to clean up the seed and nut residue from
> > the bird and squirrel feeders.  Did blur the background
> > a bit in PS.
> >

>  Great shot Paul! If looks could kill. Based on the size I
> have to agree it is a Sharp-Shinned Hawk.

     The size does not matter, it's the colour of the plumage.  The
Sharp-shinned Hawk breast plumage is much brighter, approaching white between
the brown streaks.  See the photo of the juvenile here (third photo):

http://www.audubonbirds.org/species/Birds/Sharp-shinned-Hawk.html

     Now compare that with the photo of the juvenile Northern Goshawk here
(fifth photo), where the plumage between the brown streaks has a brownish
tinge, just as with Paul's photo and the one in "Birds of the Southwest":

http://www.audubonbirds.org/species/Birds/Northern-Goshawk.html

     Also compare the crown of the skulls.  The crown of the Northern Goshawk
is flatter than that of the Sharp-shinned hawk.

Chris