[OM] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2011: rebirth

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2011: rebirth
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 21:57:17 +0100
I was born in the city of Wrocław in south-western Poland in 1960. Following a
government-sponsored anti-Semitic campaign in the late 60s, my parents and I
emigrated to Denmark in 1972. My sister did not go with us, and she still lives
in the city of my birth. Of course, today it is an entirely different world.
Wrocław is a city of almost 700.000 people, located in one of the most dynamic
regions in one the most dynamic countries anywhere in the Western world. The
Jewish population of the city had dwindled to almost nothing by the late 1980s,
but in recent years there has been a remarkable revival, due mainly to people
re-discovering their ancestry and a bit of return migration. One tangible proof
is the old synagogue "Pod Białym Bocianem" ("the white stork") which had fallen
into disrepair until a Norwegian singer took up the cause and started a
foundation that spearheaded the renovation of the temple. The work was
completed last year and the result can be seen here:

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#1652231741_kL7C5bg-O-LB

The congregation has about 400 members, small fry by US standards, but a
remarkable revival considering the circumstances. There is also a Jewish school
in Wrocław, a good indication that the community has a future.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain