Re: [OM] Strike one up for the underground protest

Subject: Re: [OM] Strike one up for the underground protest
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 18:36:53 +1030
Hi Ken,

Out here we typically see a ethernet ATM switch and a BDSL tail circuit,
or a fibre link with a 'branch-office grade' switch as the PE. Both have
a 100Mbps ethernet link to the CE, but the ingress rate limit might be
256k-2Mbps (BDSL) or 2-10Mbps or more (fibre). In a customer WAN
environment with 10-30ms delay between sites there usually aren't many
packets outstanding, so TCP's window sizing can't do it's thing, because
the rate-limit discards are effectively occur randomly - longer network
delays can mask that, though. I can't say that I have ever seen an
ingress-rate-limited port at the provider edge flow-control the customer
edge equipment. :)

Real time UDP streams like voice & video actually do a lot better
because they don't retransmit/error correct, and the user usually
selects a more appropriate codec that minimises the dropouts (in other
words the user does manual traffic shaping!)

davidt