Re: [OM] (OM) OT A note for facebook users

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT A note for facebook users
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 17:07:59 -0500
On Dec 23, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Ken Norton wrote:

> Most companies lose thier way when the autocrat leader and visionary is no
> more. It really does come down to vision. When a company transitions from
> "rah rah, we can do this to "maintain stockholder value" it is only a
> matter of time before the bells ring.

This is a generalization with which I mostly agree. (Shock and Awe! <g> ) I
have long railed against the Rise of the Bean Counter in corporate culture. My
own experience is with a rather large and prestigious journalism organization.
At one time it was owned and run by people with ink in their veins. Their first
loyalty was to journalism. As time passed, the ink became diluted. When I left,
bean counters were running the show. Now, by and large, the product sucks.

One of my cousins, who is an actual corporate whiz, argues with me about this
all the time. She believes that there's nothing wrong with bean counters
running things as long as they understand the founding vision of the company. I
counter argue that it is against the very nature of a bean counter to
understand founding visions or any other vision save making money for
owners/stockholders. Simplistic? Yes. True? I think so. As always, with
exceptions.

My cousin's company will be safe as long as she is Chairman of the Board. After
that, I'm not so sure.

> Will Apple continue to be a powerhouse in five years? I really don't think
> so. In the 1990's the popular thing was to be seen driving around in a BMW,
> Audi or Saab. These days the popular thing is to be seen driving an iPad.
> Saab is no more and BMW and Audi cars look absolutely no different than the
> average Honda, Toyota or Buick. It's better to be seen in a Prius.

Well, that depends on to whom one is talking. <g> The Prius has a certain
status, but it's not even close to universally shared. The Beemer or Audi still
turns heads. \\

> The problem with exclusivity is that once everybody has acquired the
> exclusive, the exclusive is no longer exclusive. At some point, once
> iThingies are no longer "special" the masses will find something else to go
> chase.

I don't see them as exclusive so much as the absolute best thing going in the
market. Apple drives the current market. It will take some doing to change
this, but I have no doubt that it will change. I also believe that when the
change occurs, AG will become an Apple fan. <wink>

> Ever notice that once you put whatever cover on these cellphones they all
> look alike, anyway?

Ah, but how they look is less important than how they work. Well, to me,
anyway. For the time being, I'm sticking with my iPhone. With products such as
this, my loyalty is only as deep as product performance. At least I like to
think so.

--Bob