Re: [OM] (OM) Flower study

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Flower study
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 09:47:22 -0500
I had no idea these blossoms were so tiny.  Given the image with the
flower in your hand my guess is that the total width of the flower image
is perhaps 4-5" (100-125mm).  To get that size using a 50mm lens on a
4/3 camera the image plane of the camera had to be only about 12" (30cm)
from the flowers.  At a marked f/11 the effective aperture is actually
about f/13.9 since the lens has to be extended about 13mm past its
infinity focus. DoF for that (using the more stringent CoC for 4/3)
would only be about 14mm. Using the less stringent 35mm CoC (or assuming
only a small print like 4x5) the DoF is still only double that at 28mm.
  A tough nut to crack even if your focus point was spot on at about 1/2
way into the total DoF.  To double these DoF numbers you'd have to shoot
at a marked f/22.

The hyperfocal distance for 50mm at f/11 is off in the range of 7-14
meters depending on how stringent you want to make the CoC.  Macro
distances and hyperfocal just don't go together.

Chuck Norcutt