Re: [OM] On the subject of Photoshop Police

Subject: Re: [OM] On the subject of Photoshop Police
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 20:54:16 -0500
My hat's off to Microsoft for testing and reliable distribution of
updates.  When I was system test manager for OS/2 in the late 80s and
early 90s I thought I had my hands full when the product reached 3
million lines of code.  Microsoft in those days were still a bunch of
20-something development cowboys and hadn't a clue about how to go about
a disciplined design, development and test process.  But IBM eventually
got them trained and whipped into shape whether they liked it or not.

Today, some 20 years after I quite the business I'm just amazed.  I
understand that Windows is now at least 30 million lines of code or 10X
what I had to deal with.  I've been getting Windows weekly updates for
years and years and years and only one has ever had a bug that I was
keenly aware of.  Apple has a much easier task with its close control of
the hardware but, all in all, I think Microsoft does an incredible job
of herding all those diverse cats.

I think the students have long ago surpassed this teacher.

Chuck Norcutt