Re: [OM] The Leica film - good news and bad news and good news

Subject: Re: [OM] The Leica film - good news and bad news and good news
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 18:02:31 -0600
John,

>From almost 60 years of experience with Leica ltm bodies, I will endeavor to
respond.  In the body itself, a bottom-loader, there are no seals.  The
light-tightness is provided by metal-to-metal contact.  There are light
baffles around the cloth, horizontal-traveling shutter, which, if intact,
prevent leakage around the edges of the shutter.

My first Leica, a IIIa model from 1935-36, was purchased in 1952 and has
never been serviced.  The last time I used it, there were no light leaks.
It, as well as its lens, could certainly use a CLA, but can still produce
images.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA