Re: [OM] The Leica film - good news and bad news and good news

Subject: Re: [OM] The Leica film - good news and bad news and good news
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:35:10 -0600
Chuck, no need to think it's a failure. That's probably all a good
thing, although, it would have been really cool to have seen some
pictures of some holiday gathering with long since passed relatives
which you could have provided prints to the family.

Now, that you've gotten that out of the way, get it serviced and put
that 5D into backup mode.

Personally, I rather like the M-series, but can see why some people
really like the pre-M bodies.

Funny thing happened a few years ago. As I was drifting in a rapid
direction towards my THIRD digital camera, an OM-4T arrived in the
mail. Since that time, I kinda now have the same viewpoint of digital
cameras as I do automobiles and cellphones. Every two years you'll be
upgrading no matter what. Each one you purchase is just a stepping
stone to the next one you purchase. Repeat.

But the OM-4T brought this all to a screeeeeeeeching halt. Even now,
as I contemplate my next digital camera, I think "do I really want to
do this?" The answer is, no. I'm getting so much incredible pleasure
out of using the "old stuff" that the only reason to acquire the new
stuff is so I can do more WORK. Too much WORK makes AG a rather
unhappy guy. There is absolutely no reason why any of us can't process
and scan our own B&W film. Got a kitchen sink? You're in business.
Film and chemistry is still pretty cheep.

Don't have a scanner? Then get an old film duplication setup and use
your digital camera to "digitize" the film.

AG